I’m not particularly bothered by those on The Right who make liberal use the words “Leftie” and “Leftist” as insults because I’m proud of who I am and the stand I take.
What does being a Leftie mean to me?
It means that I believe:
- In taking care of those less fortunate
- That not everyone who is brown is Muslim
- That being Muslim doesn’t make someone a terrorist
- That taking in refugees is a good and humane thing to do
- That immigration and refugees make our country stronger
- That if its between two consenting adults, its not anyone elses’s business (even if they want to get married)
- That a traditional family is whatever works for those involved
- That everyone deserves to be treated fairly by everyone else
- That workers deserve a fair, livable wage
- That everyone deserves shelter, food and safety
- That we have a responsibility to our fellow humans to act with kindness, wisdom, and compassion